Back in 2011/2012 I set out a winter regimen for myself….I have a HARD time sticking to any type of consistent hair regimen and I think that has been the main reason why, in my opinion, I’m not seeing as much growth as I am use to….and maybe that’s why I’m still shedding a lot of hair.
I’m planning on joining KinkyCurlyCoilyMe.com ‘s Winter 2013 Castor Oil Challenge Starting Dec 1st, 2013. I’m also going to continue, but on a more consistent basis, with the GHE (Green House Effect). I see protective styling in my future due to the cold and snow…..but not sure when or which style to choose.
I’ll update you on Dec 1st! 1 thing I know for sure-my product list will be much smaller than what I had planned back then-no wonder I couldn’t keep up!
(Below you’ll find my 2011/2012 winter regimen)
I have been thinking a lot lately of what to do this winter with my hair. I am so late since we are practically in the middle of it but I have definitely zeroed in on 2 main goals for my hair.
1. Develop a more regular and routine regimen on a budget.
I would like to incorporate more natural ingredients in my product list without going overboard in price. For example, henna and Arabic or East Indian oils.
2. I would like to actually see and measure an increase in length in my strands. I hope to gain 4-5 inches by June 1st, 2012.
I will do my best to maintain a regimen and assess my progress every 2 months. I’m not about to get obsessed by this. If I only gain 2 inches-I’ll live.
So far I haven’t worn a long-term protective style in 1 year. I’ve done 2 week twists but nothing longer than that.
I’ve also been using less natural products over the last few months (laziness) and I will quit that very soon.
So for the next 4 to 5 months this is it…
Finger detangle and separate my hair in sections-maybe 10-12 chunky twists.
After finger detangle, pre-poo overnight on Friday’s before every wash. I will alternate between my Jasmine oil and Vatika oil mixed with l’huile de Palma Christie (Haitian Palm Kernel oil).
Wash weekly, alternating with Live Clean apple cider vinegar – clarifying shampoo and co washing with J/A/S/O/N Biotin Conditioner. (The shampoo is plant based, vegan, no sulphates. Boitin provides strength to hair)
On the days I cleanse with shampoo I will follow with a deep conditioner. I plan to mix Herbal Essences Hello Hydration with olive oil and rosemary oil.
After every wash, I will air-dry my hair about 70%, un-twist 1 section at a time, apply Giovanni Direct Leave-In and my *new Shea mix and re-twist.
My choice of styling will be protective, hopefully 95% of the time. I plan on following this regimen no matter what method of protective styling I am doing at the moment (except the finger-detangle/twist/re-twist part…that may not happen with certain styles)
I will spritz my hair and then seal my hair with my Shea mix every other night.
Sleep with a satin head wrap.
I will apply Henna to my hair around the first of the month. If the colour is becoming too rusty or red looking-and I don’t like it, I may add indigo or a black Henna dye to my Henna mix to hopefully balance the colour out.
I trimmed my hair about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to trim in order to start this regimen with some clean ends. To be able to notice any fraying or extreme dryness if they do/did occur.
So far, I think that’s about it.
1. Finger detangle, separate and twist.
2. Pre-poo overnight saturating my strands root to tip.
3. Use diluted shampoo to stretch out the product. 1 part shampoo to 2-3 parts filtered water.
4. I will deep condition with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration-I find it moisturizing for my hair. To make my dc (deep condition) more rich I will add olive oil and rosemary oil
5. My Giovanni Leave-in usually lasts 6 months (or more….a little goes a LONG way).
6. My *new Shea mix will include Shea Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut oil and Almond oil.
7. My spritz will include Rose water, almond oil, filtered water & a few drops of peppermint oil.
8. My choice of styling immediately will be yarn braids. Hopefully, if I have some free time to myself I can get them done this weekend!
This seems like a lot for me-but I am focussed man! (lol) I have somewhere to go summer 2012 and I want to achieve bra strap length by then 😉
MY NO NO LIST UNTIL JUNE 2012
No un-Natural hair colour
Let me know if you are starting a new regimen for winter or have one that’s tried and true?