Back in 2011/2012 I set out a winter regimen for myself….I have a HARD time sticking to any type of consistent hair regimen and I think that has been the main reason why, in my opinion, I’m not seeing as much growth as I am use to….and maybe that’s why I’m still shedding a lot of hair.
I’m planning on joining KinkyCurlyCoilyMe.com ‘s Winter 2013 Castor Oil Challenge Starting Dec 1st, 2013. I’m also going to continue, but on a more consistent basis, with the GHE (Green House Effect). I see protective styling in my future due to the cold and snow…..but not sure when or which style to choose.
I’ll update you on Dec 1st!
(Below you’ll find my 2011/2012 winter regimen)
I have been thinking a lot lately of what to do this winter with my hair. I am so late since we are practically in the middle of it but I have definitely zeroed in on 2 main goals for my hair.
1. Develop a more regular and routine regimen on a budget.
I would like to incorporate more natural ingredients in my product list without going overboard in price. For example, henna and Arabic or East Indian oils.
2. I would like to actually see and measure an increase in length in my strands. I hope to gain 4-5 inches by June 1st, 2012.
I will do my best to maintain a regimen and assess my progress every 2 months. I’m not about to get obsessed by this. If I only gain 2 inches-I’ll live.
So far I haven’t worn a long-term protective style in 1 year. I’ve done 2 week twists but nothing longer than that.
I’ve also been using less natural products over the last few months (laziness) and I will quit that very soon.
So for the next 4 to 5 months this is it…
Finger detangle and separate my hair in sections-maybe 10-12 chunky twists.
After finger detangle, pre-poo overnight on Friday’s before every wash. I will alternate between my Jasmine oil and Vatika oil mixed with l’huile de Palma Christie (Haitian Palm Kernel oil).
Wash weekly, alternating with Live Clean apple cider vinegar – clarifying shampoo and co washing with J/A/S/O/N Biotin Conditioner. (The shampoo is plant based, vegan, no sulphates. Boitin provides strength to hair)
On the days I cleanse with shampoo I will follow with a deep conditioner. I plan to mix Herbal Essences Hello Hydration with olive oil and rosemary oil.
After every wash, I will air-dry my hair about 70%, un-twist 1 section at a time, apply Giovanni Direct Leave-In and my *new Shea mix and re-twist.
My choice of styling will be protective, hopefully 95% of the time. I plan on following this regimen no matter what method of protective styling I am doing at the moment (except the finger-detangle/twist/re-twist part…that may not happen with certain styles)
I will spritz my hair and then seal my hair with my Shea mix every other night.
Sleep with a satin head wrap.
I will apply Henna to my hair around the first of the month. If the colour is becoming too rusty or red looking-and I don’t like it, I may add indigo or a black Henna dye to my Henna mix to hopefully balance the colour out.
I trimmed my hair about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to trim in order to start this regimen with some clean ends. To be able to notice any fraying or extreme dryness if they do/did occur.
So far, I think that’s about it.
1. Finger detangle, separate and twist.
2. Pre-poo overnight saturating my strands root to tip.
3. Use diluted shampoo to stretch out the product. 1 part shampoo to 2-3 parts filtered water.
4. I will deep condition with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration-I find it moisturizing for my hair. To make my dc (deep condition) more rich I will add olive oil and rosemary oil
5. My Giovanni Leave-in usually lasts 6 months (or more….a little goes a LONG way).
6. My *new Shea mix will include Shea Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut oil and Almond oil.
7. My spritz will include Rose water, almond oil, filtered water & a few drops of peppermint oil.
8. My choice of styling immediately will be yarn braids. Hopefully, if I have some free time to myself I can get them done this weekend!
This seems like a lot for me-but I am focussed man! (lol) I have somewhere to go summer 2012 and I want to achieve bra strap length by then 😉
MY NO NO LIST UNTIL JUNE 2012
No un-Natural hair colour
Let me know if you are starting a new regimen for winter or have one that’s tried and true?